15 February 2008

Psalm 56:3

When I am afriad I will put my trust in you.

Growing up, I was a fearful child--afraid of the dark, afraid of bugs (yeah, still got that one), afraid of the woods behind my house, basically I was one scaredy cat! This hymn is one I learned at church as a small girl that always seemed to help me when I was afraid-I still find myself humming it today when I am anxious or fearful. May it encourage you as well:

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word.
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, Thus saith the Lord.

How I love to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood.
Just in simple faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing cleansing flood!

Yes, it's sweet to trust in Jesus,
And from sin and self to cease.
Now from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest and joy and peace.

I'm so glad I'm learning to trust Him,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend,
And I know that He is with me,
He'll be with me to the end.

Chorus:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Of for grace to trust Him more!

Words by Louisa Stead, 1882, after witnessing her husband's drowning.

No comments: