24 April 2008

23 Days - God-sightings

When I worked with Mission Discovery in Mexico, Jamaica and TN for so many summers, one of the things I looked forward to most during team worship was the "God-sightings" time. This was when we shared with one another different experiences, situations that were evidence of God's grace in our lives.

I have heard that planning a wedding is extremely stressful. My sweet friend, Dr. Jennifer even prescribed me special immunity-booster, stress-buster vitamins so I wouldn't get sick from the stress I would experience in wedding planning. While there have been moments of indecision, frustration; I must confess that overall, it has been relatively stress-less!

Presently we have 23 days until 5/17/08 ... and as I reflect over the past five months of engagement, I have seen over and over again how God has graciously blessed James and I. Enjoy this list of God's grace and goodness:


  • My dad, cooperative??? My dad hates getting dressed up, he despises formal events and I was honestly worried about how to convince him to get in a suit with a red tie/vest...but PRAISE GOD, he has been so cooperative.
  • 6pm wedding! While this wasn't my first choice as far as time of the day, it will accomodate my sister's family's schedule as they attend my nephew's 8th grade graduation that morning then jet north to L'ville for the wedding. God has graced my sister with an uncanny gift of flexibility and boy do I greatly appreciate that! Normally PBC doesn't allow wedding after 3pm due to cleaning and setting up for church in the morning, but they have graciously relaxed that rule for James and I. So, while this will make for a long evening, it will make for a more relaxing Saturday morning!
  • Showers, showers, showers. God has blessed James and I over and over again through the amazing generosity of our friends and family. We have had two showers thus far: Nashville and WV and this weekend we have the one with our church. We have received so many practical gifts, sentimental items, and encouraging notes and I have felt so loved!
  • Yummy cake. Wedding cakes typically cost between $2 and $3 per slice! Yes, per slice! Meaning for 100 people, we're looking at a $200-$300 cake. But THANKS BE TO GOD for Melissa at my church. She LOVES baking and has a true knack for decorating as well and is providing our cake for free! It's sure to be yummy and beautiful.
  • The Body of Christ. I can't brag on our church enough. It has been rare that I have observed the body of Christ rally around a couple in blessings, encouragement, and true service as they have for James and I. From the shower planned this weekend, to the use of the facilites for free nonetheless, to the wonderful counseling Bro. Tom has provided, to the gift of so many friends. They have welcomed James into the church family with open arms which has made my heart very happy. They provide a place of service for us in ESL and for me through the youth department and have even agreed to help support James' mission trip to Peru this summer. What a blessing they are !!

It is my prayer that God keeps my eyes open to how he is working all this out for me, as it has truly been He not I who has accomplished all of this so far. I know I have the tendency to forget God's blessings, particularly in times of struggle so I hope that by writing these down they will not only encourage you but serve as accountability for me to praise God for his blessings!

Be careful and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

Deuteronomy 4:9

No comments: